Part Time Veterinarian Technician
Friends of Strays Animal Shelter currently has an opening for a part-time verterinary technician.
The veterinary technician works closely with our Medical Director and Medical Manager assisting with exams and taking care of the every day needs of animals in the intake and isoloation wards as well as other animals in the shelter as needed. The veterinary technician helps maintain the medical area, keeping it organized and clean. He/she will administer medications to animals in the shelter along with performing basic lab tests (cytologies, fecal, UA, PCV, SNAPs, etc.) and preparing labs to go out to processing. The veterinary technician will take basic vitals of animals during surgery and exams, and clean, prep, pack, and autoclave surgery packs.
Job Requirements/Skills/Physical Demands
An employee in this position must have a strong desire to care for animals, be able to lift approximately 50 pounds, walk dogs of up to 130 pounds, work on feet all day, and read and understand English.
This position reports to the Medical Manager
- Provide compassionate care for animals
- Restrain cats and dogs for veterinarians and technicians
- Administer medication as prescribed by Medical Director/veterinarian.
- Monitor and collect urine and fecal samples as needed
- Monitor, record, and report physical signs of illness in any animals
- Clean cages and kennels in medical and isolation wards, including exam rooms and the treatment room
- Maintain medical office area in a neat and sanitary condition
- Provide clean bedding, water and litter pans for animals
- Monitor and feed animals as needed
- Assist with animal intake procedures
- Bathe pets as needed for medical or sanitary purposes.
- Re-stock medical wards
- Transport animals as necessary
Other duties may include:
- Wash and sanitize pet dishes
- Perform other duties as assigned
- High school diploma or equivalent
- CVT or LVT desired
- 1 year veterinary experience
- Experience administering medications to dogs and cats
- Experience handling/holding dogs over 100lbs
- Experience handling/holding fractious cats
- Valid Florida Drivers License
To apply, email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls or walk-ins please.